BMSTU was given the «National Research University» status. The University has several priority fields. The BMSTU 2009-2018 Development Program includes scientific majors listed below:
- Space engineering and technology
- Biomedical engineering and living systems technologies
- Power engineering and energy efficiency
- Information and communication technologies
- Arms, military and special equipment, anti-terrorism systems
PDD “Space engineering and technology”
Nowadays the functioning of a number of Russian economy sectors and strengthening of the country defense capacity is unthinkable without Space engineering and technology. First of all, it comprises .various Earth and Space monitoring systems, global positioning and communication systems, spacecrafts and their instrumentation, etc. The level and rate of scientific and technological progress are defined along with the investment volume, scientific potential capable of creative large-scale breakthroughs, such as the first artificial Earth satellite launch, the first manned space flight, interplanetary flights, and space communication appearance. Today there is a great demand in young professionals, who combine good theoretical basis with practical experience in the field of space engineering and technology. The University will train such specialist, develop human recourses of science and vocational education, develop scientific researches, create and commercialize high technology production in the field of space engineering and technology together with its partners: OJSC “S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation “Energia”, FSUE “Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center” FSUE “Academician Pilyugin Center” FSUE “Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology”, JSC “MIC Mashinostroyenia”, FSUE “NPO Lavochkin”, “Vympel” NPO, JSC “Academician M.F. Reshetnev “Information Satellite Systems“, “Barmin NIISK”, “The Design Bureau of Transport and Chemical Machinery” (KBTKhM), CJSC “The Design Bureau “Polyot”, JSC ISC “Vympel”. As a result of the programme implementation the base for realization of several large projects in this sphere will be created: “Flight control system of long-range spacecrafts and complexes” “Large-size transformable space antennas” “Composite materials space applications” “Space robots and robotic manipulators” “Fundamental research and experimental determination of liquefied natural gas engines for large-range reusable launch vehicles conception ” “Precise near-earth radar systems” “Theoretical and experimental research of radio-wave passing through plasma for takeoff/landing connection systems development” “The development of systems engineering technology of launch installations for long-range rocket complexes” “Student micro-satellites creation”, etc.
PDD “Biomedical engineering and living systems technologies”
Biomedical applications and living systems technologies are up-to-date, interdisciplinary and high-tech sectors of Russian economy. Since 2000 medical devices production in Russia has been increasing rapidly. By 2007 it reached 30billion rubles. Nevertheless the demand has been more than twice as higher as Russian manufacturers’ capacities, which means that there’s still a high volume of imports. The average annual demand is near 70 billion rubles, only 40% of which are satisfied by domestic companies.
The industry has great demand in young professionals and complex modernization as well as more rapid introduction of new industrial and marketing technologies.At BMSTU by 2018 several activities will have been carried out:
- In short-term prospective (2009-2013) it’s required to provide enough engineering skills and develop the biomedical applications necessary to treat socially significant diseases (cardio-vascular, oncologic, diabetes, etc.)
- In mid-term prospective (2013-2016) a new University scientific and educational center is to be organized, where researches and other scientific activities are to be carried out in close interaction between applied and academic science, business communities. There’ll be courses for highly-qualified personnel to improve their skills in the given PDD as well.
- In long-term prospective (2016-1018) on the basis of the organized University scientific and educational center there will be developed just those directions where the tasks to reach technological leadership in certain segments of biomedical engineering world market are set. Our strategic partners : • State hospital №1 n.a. N.I. Pirogov • MSU • Kotelnikov Radio and Electronics Institute RAS • 1st Moscow Medical Institute n.a. Sechenov • Institute of Biomedical Problems RAS • R&D Medical Technology , • NPO “Ekran” • FSUE Kurchatov Institute Russian Research Centre • Moscow Institute of Cancer Research n.a. P.A. Gertsen • Photochemistry center RAS
As a result of the programme implementation the base for realization of several large projects in this sphere will be created: «Research and development of non-invasive and distant methods to measure human organism vital parameters », «Tele-medical technologies creation», « Research and development of non-invasive methods to measure brain activity parameters», «Biometrics in medical tests and functional diagnostics», «Precise surgery and therapy technologies», «Devices and systems for diagnostics and treatment of cardio-vascular, oncologic, diabetes and stress-based diseases».
A great number of the results in nanomaterials and nanosystems design have been obtained recently. As a rule, the results are verified by experiments or by laboratory prototypes. However, the transition from laboratory to industrial samples is a complicated process and often requires some additional researches connected with new technology and the development of efficient atomic-precision systems. Nanoengineering, an interdisciplinary area of science, serves to develop and improve production methods and application of integrated systems based on nanotechnology and microsystem techniques and principals. Nowadays there’s deficiency of highly skilled specialists in this pioneer scientific area.
University programme in this scientific area is concentrated on:
- Forming and permanent improvement of an innovative educational system to train and retrain nanotechnology specialists for R&D projects aimed at industrial production.
- Development of methodical, technical and normative bases of applied technological and design concepts metrological assurance for nanoindustry needs.
- Development of certification documents, professional and educational standards, regulations to determine the safety of nanoindustry products usage.
In this scientific sphere Bauman University collaborates with: “RUSNANO Corporation” National Research Center “Kurchatov Institute” Federal State Unitary Enterprise “MMPP “SALUT” Federal State Unitary Enterprise “Research Center “Kometa” Federal State Unitary Enterprise “Keldysh Research Center” JSC “Russian Space Systems”, and others.
In 2009 “Nanoengineering” educational center was established by a joint solution of BMSTU and National Research Center “Kurchatov Institute” to conduct scientific research in the field of nanoindustry and to train highly qualified specialists in nanotechnology sphere.
PDD «Power engineering and energy efficiency»
Оne of the main Russian economy development obstacles is low energy efficiency. Energy system improvement within the established concept of the country's energy development is Russian national interest that concerns the entire population.
The University has great experience in creating technologies and equipment for centralized generation of heat and electrical power, for generation the power using the renewable sources of energy (wind-engineering power, solar power and submersible hydroelectric power stations), for using local fuels (peat, grizzle and oil-shales), solid and liquid domestic and industrial waste. University R&D in this direction will have two main tasks: to improve the existing technology and equipment and to develop new ones.
University strategic partners in this PDD are: OJSC “Gazprom”, Russian Scientific Center “Kurchatov Institute”, Dollezhal Energy-machinery Institute, the Institute of Computational Technologies, NPO Energomash “V. P. Glushko”, OJSC “S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation “Energia”.
Following the targets of Energy Conception Bauman University is going to implement several major projects:
- “New power plants and engines development”;
- “Closed-circle earth-based gas turbine development”;
- “Nuclear power engineering”;
- “Thermonuclear engineering”;
- “Photonic engine of high power density development”;
- “Energy efficiency”;
- “Integrated technology and welding means and diagnostics development in power engineering”.
PDD «Information and communication technologies»
Currently computer technology and other means of information processing, transmission, storage and usage form a new information environment. Information is becoming state and society strategic resource as traditional material, energy and human resources. The information environment development determines development of information society - the age developed and developing countries entered.
The University activity in this PDD is sent to:
- complex products computer-aided design and life cycle information support systems and technology development;
- complicate processes and objects mathematical supercomputer-based modeling;
- creation of complex information security system for heterogeneous information and communication structures
In this PDD University works in close cooperation with OJSC “M.V. Keldysh Applied Mathematics Institute”, OJSC “S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation “Energia”, OJSC “Scientific-production association "Saturn", FSUE "Moscow Machine-Building Plant "Salute", OJSC “Computer Technology Scientific-Research Center", FSUE "SRI "Argon", S.A. Lebedev Precision Mechanics and Computer Technology Institute RAS, A. A. Dorodnitsyn Computer Center RAS, Control Problems Institute RAS, the Russian Federation Federal Security Service Academy, the IBM, Microsoft, Cisco, NVidia, Altera, Beantly, Philips and many other domestic and foreign partners.
Bauman University implements number of important projects in this PDD: «Complicate products computer-aided design and life-cycle information support systems and technology», «Complicate processes and objects mathematical modeling», «Creation of complex information security system for heterogeneous information and communication structures».
PDD “Weapons, military and special equipment,
counter terrorism systems”
Leading world powers weapons and military equipment trends imposes corresponding demand on weapons, military and special equipment (hereinafter - WMSE) developed in Russia, as well as to specialists training level which enable to create exceed international standards WMSE.
The summarized in the "Basic and critical military technologies list" basic and critical technologies set defines university priorities in the field of WMSE and countering terrorism means design and creation. The University activity in this PDD is sent to:
- techniques and technologies design of early objects detection systems ( mainly radar type), intelligence and targeting complexes and systems operating in different environments and using physical signals of different nature;
- medium artillery and small arms;
- military highly mobile wheeled and tracked vehicles, multi-purpose mobile robotic systems used for purely military purposes and for solving countering terrorism problems.
The Program implementation results in number of important projects in this PDD: «Information-measuring radar systems and complexes», «Gravitational waves search information and measuring system based on laser interference gravitational antenna», «Special purposes robotic systems», «Countering terrorism means».