In November, 2012 BMSTU museum celebrated 45 years anniversary since its foundation day. But its history stretches to the remote past. The first reference about museum can be found in far 1905 in “Moscow Imperial Vocation School News” newspaper. It was an engineering museum with part samples and different models. At that time the head of the museum was an expert in the machine construction sphere - professor Sidorov. He demonstrated the museum exhibits at his lectures “Introduction to Machine Engineering”. In 1920-30 there were 3 engineering single-profile museums at university departments. In 1955 at the 125-th BMSTU anniversary celebration there was organized a great exhibition dedicated to the university and scientific schools history.
In November, 1967 the order of the USSR Ministry of Higher Education about the BMSTU history museum creation was issued. The museum was opened on November 18, 1967. The first note in the wish-book was made by BMSTU graduate space pilot K. P. Fiactistov: “The memory about the course passed, the peculiarities of the past allow us to look into the future. I hope that BMSTU museum will be rich in exhibits and will remind us about the glorious past of the eldest Russian technical school.”
RAS academician Konstantin Sergeevich Kolesnikov has been the museum council chairman for more than 40 years. Since 1969 till 1998 Galina Nikolaevna Antsupova, the Honoured Art Worker of the Russian Federation, was the museum director. Since 1998 Galina Alekseevna Basanchuk, the Honourary Worker of Higher Vocational Education of the Russian Federation, has been holding this position.
The museum consists of 2 halls, 450 square meters total. The first hall was opened in 1992, the second - in 2000 on the occasion of the 170-th university anniversary. Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, the president of the Russian Federation, was the first visitor.
The exposition reveals the history of the university development from the vocational school to the leading technical university of the country, its role in domestic higher school history, its influence on Russian science and industry. In 2004 BMSTU museum branch was opened in Kaluga.
The basic collection of museum pieces numbers more than 10 thousand of depository items; book collection consists of about 3 thousand specimens ranging from XVIII century folios and XIX century lithographic textbooks to the first domestic ones on heat engineering, motor industry, cybernetics, rocket production and robotics. 30 exhibits are recognized as science and technical first rank monuments. BMSTU diploma project of academician N.A. Pilugin is among them. Also there is an aviation instrument “gyrograph” which has been used in Central AeroHydrodynamic Institute for flying tests and final aircraft adjustments for more than 40 years.
The original things of BMSTU graduates and professors such as academicians S. P. Korolev, N. A. Pilugin, V. P. Barmin, V. N. Chelomey delivered by their descendants are the museum pride. In the center of the first hall there is a spacesuit of the BMSTU graduate twice USSR Hero space pilot V. A. Solovev . That’s just the suit in which he flew in “Salut-7” and “Mir” orbit-stations in 1984-86. Now V. A. Solovev is a corresponding member of RAS and the head of BMSTU ballistics and aerodynamics department.
A collage of spacecraft models ranging from the first artificial Earth satellite to the orbit complex “Salut-6”-“Souz” makes it possible to imagine the main steps of domestic space technology development. Busts of N. E. Zhukovsky, V.G. Shukhov, A. N. Tupolev, S. P. Korolev made by famous Russian sculptor L. E. Kerbel are in museum halls. A considerable pat of exposition tells about the great contribution of BMSTU students and graduates to the Victory in the Great Patriotic War. The first hall tells about the BMSTU students and staff who participated in warfare within the 7-th citizens-in-arms (“Bauman”) and 3-d Communist divisions, and the construction of defense fortification around Moscow. A special stand is dedicated to Bauman USSR Heroes (T. L. Kunikov, S. M. Alpeev, E. B. Pasko and others). Certain exposition sections tell about the development of armament, ammunition and special military equipment, about the “Victory aircraft” designs.
Visit to the museum is included in students’ curriculum of all BMSTU departments. Some items which have been found by student groups “Poisk” at the places of battles with participation of 7-th citizens-in-arms division under Vyazma, are exhibited in the museum.
In 2005 and 2010 the museum took first places at municipal competitions among the historical museums of higher educational institutions. They were dedicated to the anniversaries of the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945 Victory. The museum staff was awarded Space Federation diplomas. The museum was awarded “Peoples museum” honorary degree.